What is Copper Toxicity?

1. What is Copper?

Copper is an essential trace mineral, which means that it is essential for life, but you only need very small amounts of it. It is a metal that is found in your body, the earth, and water.

Copper is an important part of the body’s connective tissue and respiratory system. It helps to build strong bones and teeth and is an essential part of hemoglobin, a protein in red blood cells that carries oxygen.

However, sometimes copper does not bind to your proteins and is known as unbound, or free. In this case, it can be unhealthy and even toxic.

2. What is Copper Used For?

In addition to copper being very important in human biology, it has long been used in industrial applications due to its ability to carry electrical current and resist corrosion.

Nowadays, copper is also being used in plumbing fixtures because of its resistance to rust. Unfortunately, some of us are consuming too much copper, and that can negatively affect our health.

3. Where is Copper Found?

Copper is found naturally in soil, rocks, water, and plants. Although it can exist alone, copper is usually combined with other elements. For example, copper is part of cuprum (Cu2+).

Humans are exposed to copper through air, food, and drinking water, but the most common exposure way is through skin contact. The top three ways humans ingest copper are orally, dermally (through the skin), and via inhalation.

4. What is Copper Toxicity?

If you consume too much copper, it can cause several problems. One is that copper can build up in the body and interfere with normal cell function.

This metal can accumulate in organs and tissues, especially in the liver and brain. Another problem is that high levels of copper can change the structure of proteins. That can lead to a wide range of diseases, including Alzheimer’s disease, Parkinson’s disease, and multiple sclerosis. Copper poisoning can also result in neurological symptoms such as seizures, poor memory, and weakness.

Copper toxicity can come from a few different sources. It can come from eating copper salts. They can also form inside water pipes. If copper salts form in water pipes, it can contaminate water. It is also possible to get copper toxicity from eating too much copper-rich food or dietary supplements.

You can also ingest copper by drinking an acidic beverage or eating food that’s been stored in a copper container for an extended period.

Copper toxicity is fatal when severe. You could get severe toxicity from ingesting large amounts of copper salts through your skin.

Copper can work its way through your internal organs and build up in your brain, liver, and lungs. People who have copper toxicity can become very unwell. Nausea and vomiting are two common symptoms. Other symptoms to watch out for are: diarrhea, fever and bodily chills, muscular convulsion or weakness, pain or burning sensation in the abdominal area, and yellowing of the eyes and skin.


You have enough copper in your diet - no more is needed so when choosing a tongue scraper, choose one that is safe for you. 


  • Outhouse, T. L., Al‐Alawi, R., Fedorowicz, Z., & Keenan, J. V. (2006). Tongue scraping for treating halitosis. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, (2).
  • White, G., & Armaleh, M. (2005). Tongue scrapping as a means of reducing oral mutans streptococci. Journal of Clinical Pediatric Dentistry, 28(2), 163-166.
  • How to remove copper from water. (n.d.). Fresh Water Systems. Retrieved 8 July 2022, from https://www.freshwatersystems.com/blogs/blog/how-to-remove-copper-from-water